The private road system in North Oaks is the legal foundation of the community’s private status. Roads in North Oaks are built on easements from each of the adjoining property owners, with property lines extending to the center of the street.
The North Oaks private road system was established by the Warranty Deeds, which provides that the roads are owned in common by all NOHOA Members. Each person who purchases a lot or home in North Oaks agrees to be bound by the provisions and restrictions in the Deed on their property.
In order to protect and maintain the private status and quiet residential environment of the North Oaks community, Members should be aware of the following restrictions and guidelines:
Entry of property without the owner’s consent is prohibited by City Ordinance. Only residents and their invited guests or service vehicles may enter on the roads. The roads are on easements of privately owned property—they are not public thoroughfares.
Those entering North Oaks uninvited are trespassers and violate the provisions of the North Oaks Trespass Ordinance; they are subject to penalties.The Ramsey County Sheriff’s Department Deputy is responsible for enforcing the trespassing ordinance.
It is important to note that consent to entry on one occasion shall not be deemed consent on any other occasion. Door-to-door solicitation and sales are prohibited.
In all cases, invitations are the mechanism by which Members can engage guests and host activities involving non-Members. Members’ friends, family, vendors, and contractors must be invited into the community by a Member verbally or in writing.
Sale of Property
Open House – Blanket invitations to real estate open houses are not permitted. This includes the placement of a specific address of a house that is for sale in North Oaks in any advertising media including the Internet. Photos without addresses are permitted. Prospective buyers must call a real estate agent or Member to make an appointment for viewing/visiting a home at a specific address.
First Right of Refusal – Except for homes in Charley Lake Preserve, Deer Hills, and Red Pine Farm, the Warranty Deed provides that, before accepting an offer of purchase for their home, Members must first contact the North Oaks Company (5959 Centerville Road, Suite 200, North Oaks, MN 55127, 651-484-3361) to allow them the First Right of Refusal.
Signs – Warranty Deeds state that only one ‘For Sale’ sign may be placed on a property site. City Ordinance permits one real estate sign not to exceed eight square feet. Directional signs for open houses at the entrances to North Oaks or anywhere within the community are not permitted.
- The North Oaks road system is owned in common by all Members or by the North Oaks Company. There are no public roads. The general public may not access/use the roads in North Oaks without an invitation from a Member.
- The roads may be used by businesses that are serving individual Members for such purposes as waste and snow removal, alarm services, construction, cleaning, newspaper delivery, etc. Peddlers and door-to-door solicitors are not allowed.
- The roads may be used for solicitation by non-profit organizations if conducted by NOHOA Members or their family members; otherwise, it is not allowed.
- There should be no invitation extended to the general public, such as paid newspaper advertising, which requires the use of the roads to attend any event, open house, garage or yard sale within North Oaks. Invitations to specific individuals to attend house tours and open houses are permissible, but there should be no general advertisement or solicitation of the general public. Communications that are restricted to an audience of NOHOA Members are permissible.
- Use of roads by public service vehicles, such as sheriff, fire, power and telephone companies, is at the invitation of individual Members, and thus allowed.